Monday, February 10, 2020

When Thing Are So Scary Why Not Give Up?


When Thing Are So Scary Why Not Give Up?
Yesterday (2/9/2020), our local Quaker Meeting set up a special discussion of a question: Given how scary the events in the world now seem to be, especially on issues like racism and climate change, why do we not just give up and fall apart? More precisely they asked “Where are the seeds of resilience” which keep us from falling apart in the  midst of all this?
Logic tells me that we cannot address this question rationally, in a sane way, without connecting it to the larger question of meaning and purpose in our lives in general. But for now, I will “get to the point” first, and try to explain more later.
When it was my turn, I said: I do find it very discouraging to see the huge gap between what our leaders, left and right, are doing, versus what it would take to prevent extinction of the human species. (See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPccNVHRFIM&t=1230s, for my explanation, in my half hour talk on climate, following on great introductions by Ban Ki Moon, former secretary-general of the UN, and Jerry Glenn, leader of www.themp.org.) I OFTEN feel like giving up, even though our very lives are at stake, because of all the many barriers and my own personal limitations. Two main things keep me going:
(1)    The first – you might call “theological”. I do not believe that we are all just isolated individuals, bobbing like corks on every passing wave. Yes, the actions we can take just as individuals do not begin to add up to what we would need to survive this challenge …  but we are not just individuals, and our minds are more than just brains. We possess “souls.” We are all connected. We are all connected as part of a larger system, which knows more than any of us do as individuals, a system which I like to call “the noosphere.” Even when we do not see the way forward all the way, as individuals, if we strengthen that connection and work to expand our COLLECTIVE awareness through soul at the level of the noosphere, there is hope.
(2)    But even that would not be enough. I remember many days when it was not enough. What keeps me going is a second ingredient. That ingredient was summarized beautifully in a sentence I THOUGHT I heard Pope Francis say on TV in Hiroshima after I returned from my own trip there two or three weeks later: “Those who wish to preserve the life of the earth must first learn to FEEL their love of that life, deeply and completely.” Well, that was not an exact quote. (See https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2019/12/pope-says-that-peace-comes-in-a-shade-of-green-or-not-at-all/ for the closest I can find on the web this morning.) It’s not that I believe every word he or anyone else says anyway. His sentence reminded me of a promise I made inside myself, at a spiritual level, many months before, when I tuned deeply into the life in a place I visited in Brazil. Memory of THOSE feelings, repeated in other places, and that commitment, keep me going.
===============================================
The discussion got deeper and richer, but here and now, I need to go back to prerequisites and basics. Humans screw up ever so often (e.g. in collective action on climate) because they do not really remember basic things they should know but somehow forget.
Climate change is certainly NOT the whole purpose I pursue in my life!!! It is not my one and only spiritual mission, either. Lately it is on a list of about four global priorities, the LEAST of the four, but great as a testbed to try to learn how to cope with LARGER and even more urgent challenges. Yet it is a serious challenge to human survival itself (like the others!!). It is ONE PART of how I cope with the bigger, basic issue of meaning and purpose in life (yea even unto what we think about afterlife).
BEFORE that discussion yesterday, and before the weekly “Meeting for Worship” (a unique group meditation exercise) which preceded it, we had a small “drop in” discussion. A guy who used to teach math at George Mason University (GMU) leads discussion of readings from all over the world; this week it was Matthew chapter 6, with special emphasis on ”The Lilies of the Valley.” It raises the question: should we really focus all our mental energy on large goals or rules which rule our lives, or should we just say “hakuna matata, what me worry?”
That discussion, and the news of the world this week, reminded me of my mother’s last year of life, in a comfortable assisted living place in Brandywine New Jersey which my brother worked so hard to find and evaluate. I remember her saying there: “WHY am I staying on this earth  now? It seems pointless at this point. What is the purpose of what I am doing NOW?” She ate little, and… bit by bit… she was not alone there, either, despite all the recreation and food and group offerings.
When I saw the Republican Senators in the Trump trial, and ALL the older candidates for the White House (including Trump)… I could not help feeling that the White House has itself become a lot like that place in Brandywine, a glorified assisted living facility. Being over 70 myself, I can see the difficulties which ALL of these folks are living with already, and no, I am not trying to act like a President myself. There is a time when we are called to pass on the baton. As for Butti… I have been urged not to say his name as Trump may do soon, but he reminds me of kind but fatal orderlies in some of these hospitals, or of Macron of France, folks who are great at smiling but not at the kind of tough thinking we need to survive in such a challenging environment. (By the way, Klobuchar is tougher than people usually think. Having worked for Senator Specter in 2009, I have ways of knowing, and ways of seeing through smiling used car salesmen. No matter what her odds in the primaries, ability to escape a disaster in the White House is a top consideration. It is not rational to vote for the loser of one’s choice. But then again, probability of winning is why I don’t think of voting for Wang at this point.)
Lilies of the Valley: we at the drop in did NOT go to extremes. We  would NOT say “hakuna matata,” but we accept Jesus’ point that there is at least a need for balance here. That was my first “point of resilience,” feeling comfortable relying on intelligence beyond our own brain for hope beyond what we can nail down concretely ourselves for the entire big picture. It remindfs me of the days when I managed NSF panels, and asked about three big questions for EVERYONE asking for money and support: “What IS your target now, exactly? (By the way, it did not have to be a fully specified POINT.) HOW do you plan to get there? WHY would it be valuable in the bigger picture of things if you do get there?” All three were essential, yet we did not expect the “WHY” to be as complete as the “HOW” in mapping out possible paths to the greater future. We as individuals rely on others more for the “WHY” part … but that does not make it one whit less important. And we are all called always to listen hard, think hard, and work hard to convey what we can of positive value, building on our strengths and on connections to others with complementary strengths. Speaking of NSF and research… I especially like the words in Matthew chapter 5 about what happens to people who overuse the word “fool.”
Why do I believe in the noosphere, and how does it make hard scientific sense? See https://www.facebook.com/paul.werbos/posts/2892447790785619 for my explanation, an expansion of the vision of Teilhard de Charding, upgraded to be more consistent with science and with a visibly larger universe.
My entire month in Japan last year, following Ludmila, was mainly an exercise in strengthening point (2) above. I posted about a third of that as part of:
Perhaps someday I might post a pruned version of my photo albums and explanations for other important places and experiences in Japan… and other places.



BEFORE that discussion came the usual silent “Meeting for Worship” (a kind of special group meditation), and before that we had our “drop in meeting” where a guy who taught math at George Mason University leads a discussion of various readings. This week, it was Matthew book 6, including the line about “consider the lilies of the valley.”


No comments:

Post a Comment