Sunday, November 25, 2018

How could we explain ESP? Three possible explanations, one new.

On a Facebook discussion group, the moderator asked everyone the simple question: How could we explain ESP (assuming it is real)?

My reply:

Thank you for reminding us of a really important question which I have thought about for a long time.

 "Explanation" really has to connect to our assumptions about how the cosmos works in general, the ultimate laws of physics. Because we do not KNOW the ultimate laws of physics, those of us who are truly sane and honest need to focus hard on a few POSSIBILITIES, as I discuss in general in my paper in press for the festschrifft to Henry Stapp at Activitas Nervosa Superior (Springer). I personally feel it is 70% likely that the ultimate laws of physics are exactly what many physicists have assumed, a dynamical system defined over curved Minkowski space or Fock space or somehting similar. IN THAT CASE, I can find only one possible explanation for ESP which makes real sense to me, which has the added benefit that I can relate it in detail to a huge volume of first and second person experience: my "noosphere species" theory, https://drpauljohn.blogspot.com/.../response-to-question... -- a major revision to the theory of de Chardin and Verdansky, with some similarity in what it implies. But lately I have thought a bit more about formal "Great Mind" alternative theories, many of which are empty words, but could be improved; the movies "What Dreams May Come" and "Inception" make more sense to me than what I usually here from philosophers.

But exactly as I typed that, I thought of a third possibility, not in conflict with noosphere species theory, but in principle an alternative in its own right. If the cosmos is governed by an exact cross-time optimization, like the Bellman equation without noise, that implies it behaves like an RLADP intelligent control system with perfect knowledge. People often assumed that a "simple" Einstein/Lagrange kind of system would not behave in weird ways and result in uncanny synchronities, but decades ago they underestimated the chaos which simple ODE can yield. Could weird "unlikely" ESP phenomena be due to the cosmos behaving like a great mind (noise-free cosmic RLADP) all within the limits of what a conservative guy like Einstein would imagine? Hey, this is the first time I proposed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment