Monday, April 30, 2018

A beautiful new myth linked to stunning new experiments in quantum optics





You all know about the old myth of Eve handing Adam an apple from the tree of knowledge.
There is also a myth, somewhat more plausible, about an apple of knowledge falling on Newton under an apple tree. They came together for me in the past 24 hours.

Yesterday, I was really "banging my head on the wall," looking for how to upgrade my tentative new more general model of polarizers (glorified sunglasses!) to explain a stunning new set of experiments which not only disprove traditional quantum mechanics but do not even fit the previous version of my own measurement model. (No, the new series of experiments were not done in Maryland, and will not be discussed more specifically yet except per agreed collaboration arrangements.) What about "order from chaos"? How does one locate the right formula, or even a legitimate candidate, from the infinite sea of possibilities?

And then I turned to Luda. Even though I do not really believe in reincarnation, I do not totally disbelieve it either, and have some kind of vague sense that she might be some kind of reincarnation of Isaac Newton:

http://drpauljohn.blogspot.com/2015/05/meeting-my-wife-luda-from-mundane-to.html

And so.. as I felt weak and humiliated from not finding the right formula to get order from chaos she said, roughly: "Don't feel bad. I know exactly how you feel. I have been there. So here, in the side of the back yard is a place I have set up to help you. It is under an apple tree on the right, and three entangled photonias on the left." Yes, literally three entangled photonias!!

So augment the myth... instead of Eve under the apple tree, a more enticing and beautiful woman, with a piercing mind and soul inside, offering a different apple for a new tree of knowledge...

I did not stay out long, however. It was in my "cosmic consciousness 3AM" period in bed that  I fully controlled my anxiety, and saw a way forward, which did work today in leading to a new generalized polarizer model which fits all our experiments so far, as well as past experiments of the same general family. Unlike the old Born rule. Lots more testing needed, maybe modification, maybe creative efforts to do the same thing more elegantly. But still it is a great feeling to have reached this watershed, one which I was not even aware of a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment