Thursday, October 12, 2017

Is Donald Trump the Beloved Great Pig Foretold in Journey to The West?

Yes, this is a story from the watch.  Two days ago, I ordered myself to redirect attention to China (which I visited many times through 2014), and – no surprise – relevant improbable things started to happen. At least one improbable thing.

It’s not so coherent as I would like – but entertaining syncretic stories fit the Chinese theme well enough. Some folks would say that China (like Ireland?) is one of the most “yin” nations on earth – high tolerance of cognitive dissonance.  I certainly met sincere Catholic druids on the Irish half of my family, talking to plants, hearing what they say, and connecting to the Virgin Mary with love.  Taoist Confucians and Buddhist Marxists also play important roles in China. 

But of all the weird things I have seen, criss-crossing the earth both in body and in spirit – today’s tale is in SOME ways the weirdest.

Weirdest of all, perhaps: how many of you could imagine someone NOW truly loving Donald Trump, with sincere glowing love (and not just a few POSSIBLE members of his family or a few remnants of the crowd lusting for his cash)? Certainly Donald Trump is one of those people who really needs love, as psychologists have been saying all over all the networks lately -- and he hasn’t been getting much of it in his job.  Yes, he has lots of strong supporters, whom I see very often… but when they express support for Trump, they usually do it with an echoing growl, not a smile of love, and, like Bannon, they may be happy to bite almost anyone as their form of support.

But … this week… it is odd. And it involves China.

The picture above (actually, a 2D shadow puppet held in a frame) depicts the Great Pig of the Chinese classic Journey to the West.

Don’t know China? OK, I really should explain, because China is important, and so is this pig.

When strict Moslems are in a decent state, they often say “Moslems, Christians and Jews really are brothers in a way, all respected in the Koran. We are all people of the book.  One book, three books, whatever – Torah, New Testament, Koran.” (And I hear “Book of Mormon too!” ) Well, Chinese people may have been more literate historically than other countries were, and THEY had sacred books too, books really central to Chinese civilization, to Chinese ability to rise above warlords and entropy (still present!) and the famines they caused. In my view, the two most important books which made China a powerful civilization were Journey to the West and the Analects of Confucius. Very different books, both universally prominent in their own way, and I will not take time to try to compare them here. This blog will focus on Journey to the West, where the Great Pig is one of the four central characters.

Of course, the pig of Journey to the West is not the only pig in Chinese literature. Look at recent newspapers, and you will see lots of reference to Chinese families trying to have a child born at exactly the right time which by Chinese astrology makes them a “Golden Pig.” Come to think of it, I actually am one of those myself, and since I am now the same age as Trump, maybe he really is a Golden Pig, by the Chinese astrology. I’d say he fits that role  much better than I do!

Long before I traveled to China, I learned how the cartoon monkey is much beloved by Chinese children, as beloved as Mickey mouse is here (and there too?). (Don’t underestimate the mouse… but not for this blog.) We even found some children stories of “the story of monkey.” But traveling in China, I learned that this popular cartoon monkey is just a popularization of the “Monkey King,” the central character in the book of a hundred chapters, Journey to the West. I brought back a serious copy of Journey to the West, with English and Chinese versions side by side and illustrations, from the big bookstore in Beijing, not far from Tian An Men square.
I would read a chapter every night to young Chris, as a kind of bedtime story – and it was clear that the book was intended to be read that way. This book was one of the Four Great Official books of Chinese Literature, a great focus of diligent Confucian students who dominated China for at least a thousand years up to Mao (who himself was a student at the Thousand Year Academy we visited in Changsha).

One of the four, but by far the most influential. (Perhaps I will comment on the other three, but perhaps not.)

From 2005 to 2014, I visited China every year, mostly with Luda and Chris. Several times we visited the Summer Palace in Beijing, where we walked under long open corridors whose ceilings were covered with intense colorful pictures of scenes from Journey to the West, one after another. Clearly those Emperors has their story…

Journey to the West is formally the story of a group of characters (four most memorable ones) commissioned (by the emperor?) to go to Tibet, to try to bring back the scrolls of a new and more powerful form of Buddhism, powerful enough to strengthen the people and the country to be able to better resist the forces of entropy which have always been a huge problem for China. (Even under Mao, Mao had huge cultural power, but in political control of provinces and villages he was much more of a fictitious paper tiger than Americans understood.) It is one of those classic Chinese style pieces written with intention of being read at many different levels, from small child to enlightened sage.

Some of you may remember English classes, where some critic tries to infer the true meaning hidden in some novel. English speaking novelists would usually object, and say truthfully that they tried to say what they meant to everyone.  But China has often been different, perhaps in part because a lot of Chinese letters were written by people paying more attention to the difference between their intended readers, their family watching them, and the officials watching them. But for different reasons, journey to the West clearly is a multi-level construction, intended as such.
In our travels form 2005 to 2014, we were amazed at how many of the unlikely places described in the book actually were based on real places, scattered all over China.

I was of course most interested in the cave where Monkey is said to have studied under a Taoist Immortal. It seems there may have been MANY such! In Qing Chen Shan (one of the sacred Daoist mountains, in Sichuan province) we hiked on a trail to the most likely candidate, only to see a sign: “Sorry, this school was moved for its protection,” signed Chou En-Lai. I wanted to enter the cave of the Yellow Immortal, but it was blocked by a sign saying “closed at 4:30. Come back tomorrow.” (Well, I could at least feel into that one.) And another cave I really could enter, but that was an old dragon cave from further east, one of the Three Kingdoms places (Wu, I think).

The monkeys do still eat flowers and fruit, I saw…

There IS a tilting tiger tail temple…

The great cudgel in Xinjiang was made up later by fans of the book, but it IS located in the real  burning hot pink desert described in the book.  And so so.

Most important, in Xian – the great main capital from the Han and Tang dynasties, arguably the greatest ever in Chinese history – we visited the actual many-story pagoda where the actual scrolls actually were brought back by the actual monk.
(What was that name? Tanzang? The actual name and the name in the book were similar, as I recall.)

As we travelled through China, we joked to ourselves (ever less of a joke) that Luda was playing the role of the monk in that story, the actual leader, trying to teach the law and seek. Chris, a child at that time, was playing the role of Monkey, very powerful but in need of instruction and guidance. And I was clearly the horse. It kept fitting. It was especially embarrassing when hordes of young children (mostly girls) would crowd around Chris, giggling, most very friendly, and we encouraged him to learn to respect and accept it. (I suspect there is also ying yang thing – especially today, when DNA reports support the theory that Chris is the most purely perfectly yang among all of us, which says a lot in the Russian-German household we have here.)

But… in any case… that was long past. Until Luda, in her local wanderings here in Arlington, runs across an old woman who says: “This is for you. It was given to me, to pass onto you, the worthy recipient. You only had the four characters in the party as you travelled, and you need to have the fourth. Here he is. The beloved pig, who was such a problem in the beginning, bit grew to be a worthy and beloved member of the party, as he sincerely tried to learn and overcome his failings and join in the fight against the hordes and hordes of terrible demons.”

Was that book actually trying to foretell the future? Read it, and you will get your own impression. I do not remember the pig part, so I just end it here, incomplete.
Could it be that this is like a personal Book of Revelations for Donald Trump??

Except.  Except for two add-ons, one on a movie, and one on immortality.


The movie:

Thanks to Alex for his great recommendation to see the NETFLIX movie Journey to the West, VERY loosely based on the book, by the same folks who gave us Shao Lin Soccer, another wonderful movie I am glad I saw.

Since that movie was more recent, and vivid, I remember it better than the book, maybe, in some ways. (I remember more things form the book, but there was more to remember.) The movie was not as nice to monkey – but that’s not a story for this blog post. The only pig part I remember was the vivid horror at all the people who want to EAT pig. (First course, they serve him new health care and tax plans. Next course they serve HIM.) I wonder what Trump would make of THAT? Certainly there are folks who smile and invite him to dinner with the intention of eating him.

=================================

Immortality, another ancient and complex theme in China.

In truth, I have at different times in past years felt real personal love for more than one Chinese woman. I remember a surge of feeling for an incredibly beautiful woman, the sister of my cousin’s wife, whom I met only briefly (sigh) in the restaurant of the Jade Palace Hotel (now demolished, sigh) in Beijing, who gave me two scrolls as a present, one a big character hanging painting with the character “longevity” in the center,  and some serious words of explanation on it.

And so I was a bit startled, after my decision to think about China a bit, that I received an email totally out of the blue passed on from a woman of piercing intelligent from the new Western immortality/longevity movement, asking whether I would want to be interviewed on that subject. Why me? Why then?

It is true that two days ago, I did observe a livestream event with just a few sentences form Jose Cordeiro, a leader of the Transhumanists, saying he will be working with Charles Gray, a leader of the new (medical?) immortality movement, and saying that he personally intends to live forever.  But I was just watching remotely, and said nothing about this. I have VERY scrupulously refrained from telling people that I actually did study that literature, found fatal flaws (in some cases truly fatal, as in Emperor Qin kind of fatal), and found a way to make it work but ONLY with understanding and use of a level of mathematics which I doubt any of them even begin to understand.

No, not immortality, not for human bodies. The design is not so suitable for that. All I could figure out was longevity, about 1000 years I would guess.

I remember the day when I made that breakthrough, and was so excited. I started to feel: it is dangerous, but maybe not SO dangerous. (Of course, I was biased by the shadow of my own personal death, current actuarial statistics expect 20 years but anywhere from 0 to 30.) That day, however, Senator Mark Warner came to talk to us (a totally unique event), and gave a talk explaining how even another 10 or 20 years more would wreak total havoc in the poor confused world we live in now. Ok. End of that.

So why the call? Is it the recent work on  the arrow of time, which I discussed just this morning in an email to a guy I once met at Tsinghua?

Who knows. Probably just coincidence. Probably just a synchronicity kind of coincidence.

A final point on this: a Berkeley professor asked us a few days ago: WHAT kinds of physics would allow WHAT kinds of paranormal or spiritual phenomena?
Heavy paranormal stuff, I said, would require a new deeper theory, deeper than my new Modified Quantum Electrodynamics (MQED), the only theory of physics (aside from general relativity) which I really trust in full detail for what it predicts. MQED would not allow explanation of the heavy weird stuff, but MIGHT allow for maybe a little “prescience” (sbort-term anticipation) and WOULD allow for a whole lot of weird Jungian synchronicity.  So Carl Jung is as serious as it gets.

Best of luck,   Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment